Sunday, 1 July 2012

30 days to go

With my fundraising completed now, it is time to concentrate on training and ensuring all my gear is ready to go.

Over the last month I have been heading up to the 1000 steps at Mount Dandenong every week end (and walking around home during the week) for some rigorous training whilst carrying full Mount Kilimanjaro pack.   2-3 hours of going up and down the steps provides excellent work out for legs and lungs. I recently discovered that the 1000 steps is actually only about 770 steps, however from the carpark to the top is about 2 ½ kms and throw in about 300 mts vertical gain represents an excellent work out.

Today I completed a practice pack to see if I can limit myself to minimum gear to ensure the least amount of weight possible.   I am allowed 1 x duffle bag and 1 x backpack – refer to photographs below…….. mission completed!!!
Mount Kilimanjaro hiking gear:  Top left to right

Duffle bag, 35 lt backpack with 4 lt camel back bladder

Dry sacks x 2, hiking long pants x 2, shorts x 1, insulated gortex jacket, gortex jacket, water proof over pants, therma rest mattress , sleeping bag.
Camera, lens, tripod and associated equipment (including spare batteries, memory cards and cleaning , power adaptor, sewing kit, various long and short t shirts, compact towel, balaclava, sun hat, headlamp (and spare batteries)
Merino jumpers x 2, underwear, compression longs/short pants, thermal longs and tops, snow gloves/inner thermal gloves, trekking poles

Hiking boots, socks, Amnesty T shirt, malaria and altitude medications, sun glasses, pass port and vaccination certificates and Kilimanjaro reference book.

Items to be included - ear plugs, ipod, toiletries, sunscreen, wet wipes, small first aid kit, inflatable pillow, leatherman tool, energy snacks and note book.
And all packed....

No comments:

Post a Comment